Planning a shopping trip this weekend and wondering what you might need to see you through the working week? My tip is to keep a permanent list of the weekly staples that form the core of your regular recipes and snacks. This helps to take the guesswork out of what you need to stock up on when you are shopping and ensures you always have something in the pantry or fridge to create a healthy meal.
I also recommend honing 2-3 ‘signature’ dishes that can be built from your core list (such as my quinoa super salad in last weeks’ post) to take the stress out what to have for dinner. Most simple supper recipes are flexible and can be tweaked according to what you have in the fridge; I don’t think I ever make the same dhal twice, but they all start out from the same core ratios of a cup of lentils + water and a chopped onion.
Wondering what my list looks like? Here are my top 20 regular shopping basket items that I always keep stocked up on:
1. Lemons: morning lemon juice and water. Also for making salad dressings
2. Onions: to form the base of soups and stews
3. Garlic: to add to salad dressings, soups and stews
4. Chilli: peps up soups, stews and dressings and also good in a spicy smoothie
5. Ginger: juice it or use it to add a gentle aromatic heat to curries and soups
6. Herbs: parsley, mint and basil: for packing a flavour punch to every meal
7. Avocados: this nutritious fruit makes a perfect snack and a delicious dip. You can also make an amazing chocolate mousse!
8. Organic cucumbers and carrots: great for juicing, salads and snacking
9. Seasonal fruits: for snacking and easy desserts
10. Brown rice: the perfect wholefood carbohydrate staple
11. Quinoa: a great protein rich seed for making super-salads
12. Tinned chick peas: for making homemade hummus, quick salads and throwing in stews
13. Lentils: the key ingredient to a comforting bowl of dhal
14. Almonds: great for snacking on and also for making homemade almond milk
15. Walnuts: great snack food, rich in omega 3, delicious salad topping toasted or raw
16. Pumpkin Seeds: for snacking and sprinkling on salads
17. Flax Seeds: aim for 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds per day, sprinkle on porridge or salads or add to smoothies
18. Olive oil: for heart healthy salad dressings
19. Herbal tea and green tea: for harmonious hydration
20. Dark chocolate: minimum 70% for a square or two of indulgence!
What’s in your basket?